Saturday, August 29, 2009

Knowing that learning is natural...

for kids is a big thing for me. People who are unfamiliar with our chosen path to schooling ask me how I know they are 'learning'. I just smile and say, "I just have to look around me and see it. It's everywhere, all the time". Take this, for example:



Yes, you are seeing it right. Here is a closer look.



I found this on the counter a couple of weeks ago. It was left there sometime while I was busy doing something else. And I took a double take when I walked into the kitchen.

Now, you could say that it is just a quirk and that kids do strange things. Well, yes. Sometimes kids do quirky things. But I see it differently. First, one of them (and I am not sure who did it) had to think of trying to put the can on it's edge. Then, they had to find the right volume of liquid needed to balance. There must have been some trial and error before they go it just right. There must have also been some awareness of mass, weight, shape, angle and so forth.

Who says science has to be anything but a soda can, some water and a brain?

I am amazed by the thoughts of my children...

6 comments:

  1. They are amazing! Isn't it awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And if you do figure out who did it, you should ask them if they understand the science behind it. Because they might have just seen how to do it on a website or tv show. All you have to do is make the can half empty and then balance it on it's edge. The child didn't have to know anything about angles, mass, weight, shape, etc. to do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wholarmor...I don't feel a need to ask them anything. I have confidence that if they want to know the detailed specifics that they will research it on their own or ask. I honestly believe new discoveries can be found just by happenstance and not have to be theorized first. They may have seen it on tv or a website, and cool for them! That doesn't mean they did it perfectly the first time without having any trial or error in making it happen either. By awareness, I didn't mean that they can scientifically describe what went on and the physics behind it. I meant more that they have to be aware of it all in a broad sense in order to achieve this. That's all. I trust that they will be able to apply this to any number of experiments in the future...including ones that don't involved the kitchen counter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to try to balance a can today... :)

    This reminds me of the other night - we were sitting at the dining room table of neighbors (ones we'd just met - when our 4 cows ran amok through their fields) eating pizza, when Jonathan exclaimed, "Look!" He had turned his styrofoam plate upside down and was blowing air gently along the table and the plate was vibrating and lifting - a hover craft! So we talked about what was going on (as much as I knew, that is - lol) because he was so entertained by it. Love those moments!

    ReplyDelete