Sunday, April 18, 2010

Beauty

This morning I awoke to two precious eyes, recently returning from dreamland, looking into mine. I smiled and moved the hair away from his eyes. Looking deep in the depths of them, I told him he was beautiful. He stated, "I know, Mama" as he snuggled closer.

It filled my heart with warmth and happiness.

He knows.

He believes it.

Early on in my parenting journey I remembered hearing that a child sees himself/herself with the same eyes a parent sees them. If you see your child and notice all the things out of place: the smudges of food on his/her face, the shirt crumpled and on backwards or shoes on the wrong feet; your child will see themselves with "flaws".

I am one who has had to put that perfectionist away. I needed to remind myself, all the time at first, to see myself and them with eyes that truly loved...and saw beauty.

So the happiness I feel when they notice their beauty or are confident in themselves is truly a joy.

What a way to start the day...

6 comments:

  1. I really needed this today Ginger. My parenting take is not full enough right now and I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sahara, I am glad it helped. I have seen your parenting in action and get much from you...

    Ronnie, I love you, too, beautiful Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so very beautiful and a good reminder for me. Thank You.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wise words about how our children see themselves, and a beautiful description of how you two awoke. I remember when Heather was a baby, it was such a joy to wake to find her smiling at me, rather than her having to cry from another room to get my attention. I still sleep with mine too, whoever feels like coming in - it's different every night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to love to wake up and see one of my babies looking at me. I miss that. Loved this post.

    ReplyDelete