Sunday, March 15, 2009

Changes

Well, this one is personal, so if you aren't into that kind of thing...skip to the cool post about the Original Egg Game or the one about the San Diego Conference.

For a few years I have been noticing things changing in my body. It started with the hot flashes and night sweats. Not every day/night, but enough for me to say - WAIT! Now, I'm not sure if the weight gain is from not being able to exercise forever or if it is due to this process my body is now going through. I have noticed other signs as well, that are probably too much for the www, so I wont talk about those.

I am one who doesn't mind growing older. I welcome the wrinkles. I don't mind the grey (although you can't see it anyway, for which I am slightly bummed). This new stage of life isn't one that I dread or fear.

What I didn't expect, though, and don't particularly enjoy are the massive mood swings, the full blown weepy days and the hazardous absentmindedness that I definitely go through. I am not fond of being a hazard. I don't like being in the car and forgetting where I'm driving to and have to drive along hoping I remember before I get to the exit at which I'm supposed to get off. OK, so that may be a tad exaggeration, but not by much. I definitely forget what I'm saying in mid conversation. I definitely have to think about where I have put things. Not good. I also feel that the mood swings from elation and joy to rage are also huge. Sometimes I can even feel my face flush with the power of my emotion. So far, I have not focussed this on the kids or Jeff, and rush into the bathroom or outside to breathe a bit. However, my voice can still be heard by those precious ones and the tone is not very pleasant. I also find I'm not reacting to things well. This can be hurtful, too. Now, thankfully, it isn't often all day or even every week. But enough for me to take a good look at myself and say, girl you gotta get some help!

So, if you know me, you will know what a huge step this is. I did end up at a Naturopathic's office. Thankfully, Jeff is willing to go with me. This is grand because he has the outsiders view to offer. He also can remind me of things I meant to talk about (see afore mentioned absentmindedness of the previous paragraph!) and he can help me in my quest to do what Dr. Dunn suggests.

I have other things going on, but have found out they may be all interrelated a bit. I have lower body temperature, which implies thyroid stress. I know because of the RSD my body has been under a ton of stress and if my memory serves me right the adrenal glands are incredibly active during times of stress...as well as produce the bodies natural form of cortisone. So, my adrenals have been under massive usage for a long time. Now with hormonal changes, they are being asked to do even more...and they are not responding as well as they might.

All is better, now, though. There is a great little cream I'm using. I still go through times of major trouble keeping on task and staying focussed. But at least I am not all over the page as far as moods go.

This has caused me to not write here much. I am most sad of this for it means I don't have what we've been up to. For life truly doesn't stop because my body is going through some adjustments.

We have had friends over and we played as well as made a cool heart pizza. I have made more food than I can even talk about. The three kids and I have gone to park day and frozen our tuckies off. While there we played some games, chased some kids and did our best to stay warm. We have celebrated a birthday of a good friend and enjoyed the celebration with Cameron's big family. We have made experiments with everything imaginable. We have brought home yet more cool rocks. We have dressed up and pretended to be all sorts of crazy things. We have won the Lego City part of Lego Star Wars on the Wii. I was able to help do it! Then we made a new record of doing it...and are trying to get to under 30 minutes. We have played the DS, Wii and a couple of board games. We have colored and played with clay. We have spent some time together swimming and being a family. We have had Rus here to have fun with. We have had hair dying in our home and look awesome! And...Jeff and I went on another date. How cool is this? Very.

There are thoughts and plans to see family this weekend coming up. There's a trip to NM via a stop in AZ in April. There's a conference coming up in May. Let the busy travel time begin!

PLUS, who could forget that Kai is turning 10! We are going to celebrate on the beach with 2 other friends who are also turning 10.

Could life get any sweeter?! I don't think so...

7 comments:

  1. {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} for getting through those changes! Been there, doin' that!

    I've found acupuncture to be REALLY helpful. And my daily walk is a must.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger,
    I just gave you an award. Go to my blog to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've struggled with hormone issues for several years. I had many MDs offer me anti-depressants rather than help me get to the root of the problem. And while I'm sure anti-depressants might've helped in certain circumstances (*grin*) I knew they would be a band-aid for a deeper problem. During a breast cancer scare I found a holistic doc who said, "You have a HUGE hormone imbalance!" and I about melted into a puddle of relief. I'm on the mend now. This is all a long way of saying I know how you feel and how frustrating those mood swings are - consciously we know what's causing it, but it honestly just bubbles up from within, doesn't it? Unbidden and sometimes unstoppable. I often described it like a faucet getting turned on... and thankfully, it'd often lift as quickly as it began. I'd be happy to email with you and share my doc's advice if you're interested. (I know sometimes too much info isn't helpful, so don't feel pressured!) He's helped me a LOT.

    Hugs to you -

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've struggled with hormone issues for several years. I had many MDs offer me anti-depressants rather than help me get to the root of the problem. And while I'm sure anti-depressants might've helped in certain circumstances (*grin*) I knew they would be a band-aid for a deeper problem. During a breast cancer scare I found a holistic doc who said, "You have a HUGE hormone imbalance!" and I about melted into a puddle of relief. I'm on the mend now. This is all a long way of saying I know how you feel and how frustrating those mood swings are - consciously we know what's causing it, but it honestly just bubbles up from within, doesn't it? Unbidden and sometimes unstoppable. I often described it like a faucet getting turned on... and thankfully, it'd often lift as quickly as it began. I'd be happy to email with you and share my doc's advice if you're interested. (I know sometimes too much info isn't helpful, so don't feel pressured!) He's helped me a LOT.

    Hugs to you -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took my saliva test yesterday so I hear ya, sista. Your reminder is perfect- life only gets better and sweeter. Love ya lots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that you are finding help! Keep asking for help. you take such good care of everyone else but have to give yourself the oxygen first, yk?! (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Ginger...sorry you are going thru such a time of it. Dr. Dunn is really good. He's a bit dry and like an emotional piece of cold toast. But he does know what he's talking about. 18 mos or so ago when he told me I should go gluten, soy, and dairy free I thought he was nuts, but reluctantly started eliminating foods. A year later, with a different practitioner, I had labs run that confirmed what Dr Dunn told me. He does know what he's talking about and I really hope his protocol works for you. I hope you start feeling better soon. (((((Hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete