Thursday, July 10, 2008

The art of a good pirate fort

Well, yet again, we have had a full day.

I had a dentist appointment today and so tried to make it easier for the boys by having great friends over. (We've been missing them lately.) We were able to play with them a bit before I had to leave and then, as I left, they headed down to the pool to have some swimming fun. There was a definite time crunch for our friends (I hope all turned out ok) and I made it home just in time.

We all had a laugh when I couldn't move one side of my mouth...and Kade put it perfectly: "It's just plain too freaky." Amusing for some, not so for others!

As we said goodbye to one set of friends, we were graced with another. I enjoy the blond crew (BC for short!) and we don't get to spend much time with them often. It's funny how the dynamic changes with each set of friends and the time of day. This BC is very much an active bunch. They had many adventures. My favorite being the pirate fort. This fort was large enough for all 5 of them (ranging from 2 to 9 in age) and encompassed the large sofa and 2 outer 'structures' which included a table base and a chair. The table base is cool because you can climb into its circle like a separate room. The sofa cushins became a separate room, as well. The kids played inside and out of this pirate fort for most of the time they were here. Too much fun!

I noticed the boys getting a bit tired and so did the BC mom. We kept watch and an ear out for the conflicts that seemed to be on the fringe of play. Kade really is in love with one of the BCers, so wanted alone time with her. However, with younger brother and the toddler (both who don't want to miss out on the fun) alone time was not in the cards. This was still not what Kade had envisioned, so he kept pressing and pressing. Kai, by this point had already hit his limit and had found a good place to sit and play his DS. Kai is more of a 'this is my home so you can go' kind of guy. I thought that his being alone was a sign that he was completely done. He wasn't, though, and was a bit disappointed when the time for the BCers to go came closer. Kade simply wanted his girl to stay. That I can understand. I'm pleased to hear Kade be clear about what he wants (even when it makes a tough situation for us to try and fulfil). He's still too young to understand that even though he's expressed his desire very succinctly, it may not happen. Life is difficult sometimes and this situation mirrored that today. Kade moped for a bit after our friends left. I think his heart is on the mend now...or he may be pining away inside, for all I know. He seems to be dealing with it better - no matter what is actually happening inside his big heart.

One of the great things about today is the affirmation that needs can be expressed and solutions can try to be found and no anger or resentment has to manifest itself. No loud voices were used by either child or parent. All viewpoints were heard. Attempts were made to meet all needs.

It's really great to have unschooling friends!

As I sit and type (and have the pirate fort in view) I get excited about what adventures we will have in it tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. it was so fun to see you. i like our label: BC
    the funny thing is my kids asked why we were leaving once we got in the car (as if we hadn't already talked about it). they totally didn't get your boys need for down time.
    at least they weren't offended!

    ReplyDelete