Friday, January 2, 2009

Doings

I have been wanting to go visit friends. However, I come down to thinking of when I would drive and how the kids would handle the schedule change. And schedule change it has been. It started right before Christmas. The boys wanted to stay up (and asked me to, too). I don't know how it happened, but now we are up until 4:00ish and we sleep in until 1:00ish. Yes, you read right : 4am 'till 1pm for sleep time. Now I don't have a problem as long as I can : sleep (my body can't sometimes), have that sleep last for at least 6 hours, and spend time with the other member of our family here : Jeff. For now, it is working, but I'm not sure it's working well. I don't know how long it will last. The boys seem to keep themselves happy doing things they love to do. They bounce from tv, Wii, DS, computer, games and food. I try and interact with them as much as I feel I can and still keep myself present. At this time, me moving around much isn't always in the cards. Yet, we seem to stay busy. Kai has so far completed the game he got for his DS for Christmas *and* the DS game he purchased with his gift money. Kade has been playing cool games on the computer. One in particular requires the player to kind of create what happens. It's called the Powder Game from Dan-Ball. There are different things one can build with, such as cement and bricks. There's water and fire and wind and people and all sorts of things. Anyway, both boys have found themselves playing it. Kade is enjoying the Digital Arts and Crafts Studio he opened on Christmas Eve, too. So he has been creating tons of art.

I have been keeping myself busy by knitting the socks (I am now at the heal of them) and by getting the henna out again. It makes a ton of paste, and I still have yet to be smart enough to make less than a full batch! Anyway, it means I have much to work with ~ and I try to put it on as many people as will let me. This time, as has been explained before, I haven't been with very many people and have been home peacefully asleep when many people are out socializing. As an aside which should have been included in the previous paragraph, I am actually enjoying the quite of the night, I have to admit. OK, well, I put some henna on my hand first. I am hoping to henna a mama belly (with child that is) and this is one flower that may be an option.



I added the 'ring' next.





Then I did a design I took from an idea I found online. I'm still working on alignment and such, but feel I have a handle on how I will do it next time.



In the looking for design on the computer, I read about how henna traditionally has been done with an intent. With this in mind, I heated up the rice socks and braved a design on my foot. I focused on healing and acceptance. We shall see how successful it has been...eventually. I have to say it's tough to apply henna on oneself - especially on one's foot - past a certain age. One must be a pretzel and ambidextrous, of which I am neither. Still, much fun and worth it.



7 comments:

  1. Your foot is my favorite! (from the "Words I never expected to hear myself say" category)

    Will you share your henna recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    I have gotten all the mixings from a kit. It can be found here: http://www.earthhenna.com/

    Here is the book that I have enjoyed : http://www.amazon.com/Mehndi-Art-Henna-Body-Painting/dp/0609803190/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212206144&sr=1-2

    I use the recipe it offers. Steep a cup of black tea overnight. Sift 3 teaspoons powdered henna and put in a baggie. Add 1 teaspoon eucalyptus oil and 2 tablespoons of the tea to the henna. Mix together well. Allow the mixture set for 12 hours. Any left over can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and retain it's staining ability. Any more days and it fades really quickly.

    Tips I found are: I warm my skin and the henna before applying. I do this by the rice socks, oddly enough. I have also found that a spritzer, like the travel kind you find at Target, is the easiest way to keep the henna moist for a bit. I mix lemon with the water to help it absorb the stain.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your foot looks amazing! I also liked the "heal" you wrote in your sock story instead of "heel." Did you notice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your foot artwork! I'll be right over ; )

    We're late starters/late nighters (although not as late as you!) too, so if you ever want to get together in the afternoons, give me a call!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed! That flower K and I both thought were very awesome. AND you did amazing with your foot design...... healing and comfort!

    xoxoxoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your foot is my favorite!! You really do awesome work. I can't wait to see you again, so I can be you next "victim". ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brenna does designs on her feet with Henna and I love them in the summer when I can see them. Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete