Thursday, February 12, 2009

The longest post ever, continued.

I can't say enough how much I truly appreciate Prana. He has helped me so much along this healing journey. If you are looking for someone who can use essential oils, massage and cranio sacral work, he's truly amazing. Shazia is a wonderful woman, as well. I am grateful to have them in my life!

As an aside, they are looking for someone to buy their storefront. They are still going to provide the healing services (both restorative yoga and Prana's list of healing arts) and wish to sell the store part of their business to allow them to focus more on the afore mentioned healing arts.



****

There is a discussion about love and understanding going around with a few friends of mine. It brings up an interesting point. Are we ever truly understood? We were talking about this statement someone made :

"No one will ever understand you. Realizing this is freedom. No one will ever understand you—not once, not ever. Even at our most understanding, we can only understand our story of who you are. There's no understanding here except your own. If you don't love another person, it hurts, because love is your very self."

We progressed and a friend said :

"I was thinking that so many people's ideas of marriage includes feeling "understood." However, what if this idea is an illusion? What if we are working with a false dynamic?....What about love? Love, for me, goes beyond pheromones, lust, parental attachment, shared interests or even mutual respect. I have always believed that love was a choice, actually a series of choices made each and every day. As each day is filled with more gratitude, awe and joy-- I find it more and more difficult not to love. Love no longer feels like a decision, more than it is a daily certainty."

Heavy stuff. But important to think on once in a while. I wanted to put here what I wrote. More to explain how I operate and to show where I am on this journey through life. Here is what I responded :

"Two things on this.
First, I don't think we understand anything. For me it is about accepting and allowing a fluid-ness to that accepting. Understanding isn't a part of what I do, I guess. I can see progressions of things and see how someone got from point A to point B, but I don't understand it. Does that make sense?
Secondly, for me, love is just a part of me. It doesn't come from loving myself. It doesn't even come from my choices (for I can and do sometimes hurt those I love without even knowing/intending it). Sometimes my acts of 'love' are not good for other people. I don't feel like I choose to love. I do choose to follow it, or not.
Loving people has always been an amazing phenomenon to me. As I said, I can't control *if* I love, I can only control how I respond to it. How much I allow my thoughts to concentrate on it. How I interact with it. I have always loved everyone I see, first thing. I don't *understand* why. I just have accepted that it is. Sometimes I see that someone is unhealthy for me to be with, or who's choices I can't accept. My love is still there - it just is in a holding pattern, so to speak.
Maybe this is connected with my 'cup is half full' - usually more than half full personality? Don't know.
What it has meant in my interactions with others is varied. Many disbelieve I actually love them, that I am truly this happy a person, and sometimes they react in fear. Some have said they see it as a 'glow' or as just happiness showing through. I'm sure some see me as the 'princess' of insufficient light.
Thankfully, Jeff sees it as a good thing!

No matter how you see love, it is real. Understanding can be varied in so many ways. We all see things from our own perspectives. This allows for so many versions of the same thing. Emotions are real. How we describe emotions will be as varied as those who are asked to describe them.



****

Jeff and I were talking about my blog a bit back. I have been meaning to write down here how I feel about our discussion. Jeff was saying he expected this blog to be more about unschooling.

I have purposely left out the 'definition' of unschooling simply because I feel there are many others out there who have defined it. For more in-depth information one can look through Joyce's page or Sandra's page. They have spent years collecting unschooling information.

I haven't felt the need to define it here on my blog. But I consider my blog to be about unschooling. I talk about our passions, our pastimes and about how we live or lives. I show how involved we are in each other, how happily we support each other in our pursuit of what we love to do and I feel as if I have shown how following my own passions help my family members see that it is an important thing to do. I read in front of my kids, I knit in front of my kids, I blog in front of my kids, I henna in front of my kids. My kids follow their passions in front of me. Annie even dyed my hair! We are all a fluid part of each others' lives and we get involved in the excitement and joy of each other. Is that not what unschooling is truly about? For me it is. I can see the world get bigger for my kids every day. I see more of the world through their eyes. We each learn something everyday. Our life brings never ending possibilities.

So, in essence, this (to me) is very much an unschooling blog.



****

We need to see Auntie Mary. It has been far too long. Kai was saying this week how it just is not good for us to go this long without a visit. We miss her so much! So...the calendar will just have to clear enough so we can go!



****

Jeff has to go out of town on business every once in a while. We miss him much when he goes, but also know it's just part of the corporate game we play right now. Jeff and I are different in so many ways. I have a love/hate relationship for how he prepares/packs for things. He is a last minute packer. I am not. So I have a tough time when we pack as a family to go places. When he is traveling alone, I truly love to watch him buzz around packing at the last minute. I find it quite precious that he has me clean his glasses for him and how he needs to get the tiny screwdriver out to tighten the glasses hinges before he leaves for the trip. These are endearing things.

Mainly I love counting down, with the kids, the hours until we get to see him again. Kai started the hour count when we had 9 hours left. The minute count started 3 hours before. I'm sure he would have included seconds if there was a clock that showed those readily!

It's nice to have everyone under our roof now.

I have been known to say that even if Jeff was home 24/7 it still wouldn't be enough time for me. Crazy in love still after all this time.



****

Kai went to a karate seminar this week. I love his passion for this. He came home saying it was the best seminar he has *ever* been to. How cool is that?! I didn't take the camera, but saw Sensei Michelle with one. As soon as they post pictures on their site, I'll see about getting some for here, too.

These seminars are a great way for Kai to learn more about his art. He is loving every moment of his learning. So cool.

There will be another seminar in March. I'll be sure to take the camera to that one!



****

I have started knitting again...watch out!



****

Annie has now passed all her tests for completing core! She is a happy girl. I was able to go down and sit and be her 'test subject'. We were both worried that my hair (although nice) is very thin. However, she has played with it before, so seemed to have no trouble dealing with it during the test. She started out with the dying testing. They were given shaving cream to demonstrate the application of dye. She did great on the parting and the actual application. After showing she knew how to do four types of tinting/dying, she went on to rolling for perms. She mentioned afterwards that she was glad I had a straight cut, because there were only the wispy parts of my hair to deal with and not layers, too. Plus, since I don't have a ton of hair, she ended up not needing all the rollers! How cool is that?! Anyway, after the "perming" I was treated to a hair washing/massaging and then, was gifted to a blow dry and curling session. All in all, it went from 9:30 to 1:50. It was a long time to test, and it was only the hands on testing that she had to do. Yesterday they tested the written stuff. So far, she seems to be happy with the results. And I'm proud of how well she did.



****

I wanted to post a follow-up mehndi picture. Here is the last design I did a full week after application. I am so pleased with how well the stain stayed. I am getting comfortable with how I like to mix it and what I like to add. Hopefully it wont change a lot when I get another bag of henna powder. I am liking how well the sifted henna applies. No lumps!

1 comment:

  1. Whew, that was long :) Lots to comment on but I totally think your blog is great and no need to define it and make it more or less unschooling or more or less whatever. I think it's perfect just the way it is and it reflects who you are today and now, both as an unschooling mom and as a person.

    ReplyDelete