Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Happy Birthday, Josiah!

We were gifted by being able to share in our friend, Josiah's birthday celebration! It was so much fun!

Our day started out with the boys getting up with Dad. This is a new phenomenon. Just a few months ago they were up until 2 or 3am and then slept until 11 or 12 noon. I think I did better on our old schedule, but life changes, yes? So, now they are on Dad's schedule and Mama is the one trying to make herself change! ANYHOO! They were up early yet let me sleep in a bit. Yesterday I had asked if they wanted to start the birthday card...but they were pretty tired. I once again started asking if they wanted to make the birthday card and they finally said yeah.

I have to interject that Kade had said the night before that we had to go to bed NOW because then Josiah's birthday would get here faster. That was at 8pm! He managed to make it until 10pm before falling asleep. The first thing out of his mouth to me was: "Is it time to leave now?"

So, Kai was wanting to make the card on the computer. It was awesome to be with him while he navigated his way through it all. He had something specific he wanted to say and he was certain he could do it...so he did. I loved that he typed it all himself. He asked for help spelling some words because he wanted to make it the way he had it in his head. When it was all done it was great. So proud of my boy! I love how he types. He keeps his hands in the proper areas on the computer but uses different fingers to type. So, for example, the 'j' he might type with his ring finger. He liked timing his letters so he typed two in rapid succession. It's just fun to watch how they learn and experiment. I do have to say he gets his spelling from me...yikes...

So, with the card in hand, we traveled back the way we did yesterday toward the birthday boy's home. I loved that the ages ranged from 5 (I can't really count the 8 month old :) but she was there too!) to I think 10 or 11 and still they were inclusive and had a great time. Before we knew it we had played games, had cake and ice cream and chased down candy from a pinata. The kids were trading candy, trying to sell us the candy (gotta like the quick thinking!), playing with toys up in the room, reading through the Star Wars Encyclopedia, running around the yard and playin' with light sabers. They were action all the time with much talk and laughter. What great people to get to know better!

My littlest one has such a difficult time with goodbyes. He really hates them. He resists then either makes a run for the car or breaks down and hides someplace. Well, today he was not the first to run to the car, so I had to go back in and find him. He was behind the recliner out of sight. After saying he'd be able to bury his face in my neck and not be seen, he agreed to let me take him out of the house. I did end up talking (much to his chagrin, poor boy) but he managed a 'see ya' all on his own volition by the time I was able to get everything in the car and we were beginning to leave. I hope someday he's more comfy with goodbyes. I really can't blame him, as I hate them too!

(I'm now sprinting away from the computer.)

No comments:

Post a Comment