Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Pictochat

If you are like me, this title has little relevance and therefore I have no idea what this post is about. Fortunately, my kids have filled me in. On the Nintendo DS you can actually "talk" with each other (like instant message on the computer). The boys did this when they first got their DSs, but have not done much - until today! This is when you know your kids are learning. While in the same room (no more than 5 feet from each other) they are sending each other messages. One has to tap on the letters (which are arranged in the same format a key board is) to write the message.

Kai: Mama, how do you spell 'retard'?
a few seconds later.
Kade: Mama, how do you spell 'stupid'?
a few seconds later. Giggling begins...
Kade: Kai, I am not a retard.
a few seconds later.
Kai: Kade, you typed, "You are a stupid head."
Many giggles are heard and then a chuckle from Kade. Kai starts to laugh.
Kai: I am not a poopy head!

Every once in a while one of the boys would ask how to spell something, and I'd spell a word for them. Rarely did I have to spell it a second time. Whether this is due to them figuring out they can use what has already been typed as a guide, or they remembered, I am not sure. This went on for about 15 minutes. They were giggling and laughing at all the things they were sending each other. **Please understand this was just done in fun and no feelings were hurt** Leave it to my kids to 'learn' this way!

As an aside. Sometimes I wish we were here more. Then my time wouldn't be just keeping up with the house stuff while we are home. This week we will only be here for the majority of the day today. The rest of the time we will be out and about having a great time with our friends and family or at karate. Kade has a Dr. appointment tomorrow, and I am hopeful it goes smoothly (keep him in mind, please). I can't believe how busy we are...and the home body in me is wishing to be home a touch more. The boys, however, are loving it and wanting to go out more than we are right now. Balance is the key...although it does help to have clean clothes to wear when you go out and to have dishes to eat off of when you come home starving.

I will have plenty of time to cocoon myself during the cooler months of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment