Sunday, June 1, 2008

More on LIFE

It will be a few posts, I think, before I get down all that we felt and experienced at the LIFE is Good Conference. Today I want to focus on the adults. I can't say that Jeff and I talked a lot while we were there. Even so, I felt closer to him than I do while at home...for which I hope to maintain. I think the closeness was because we were tapped into each other. We were both in our 'element' and talking with people we were comfortable with. I enjoyed how we seemed to know what each other was feeling and knew what point the other was trying to make in conversation and were able to support each other with everything.

I hosted a chat which talked about how a parent dealing with their own disability can meet the needs of their unschooling children. I was totally thrilled that Jeff volunteered to be there. I had assumed that because the kids were out and about that he wouldn't get the chance to be there, so this was a complete surprise gift. He helped me through all the nerves and help keep the chat on course. I totally felt like one with this really cool man who is choosing to share my life. I know the purpose of the chat was fulfilled - people left knowing that they were not trying something impossible and knowing they were not alone. How cool is that?

There were many people who sought us out this time. That hasn't happened to me before...but I think Jeff has had people come see him. Jeff went to the SSUDs meeting and so had men who had questions and comments to add in person. While on a Starbucks run, I joined a few from the conference. We were all talking and someone asked how many conferences we had been to. When told we had only been to 3, our friend Broc (who has been a part of the community for longer) was shocked it has only been that few. I know we have embraced this lifestyle fully now. We have fine tuning, adjustments and dreams waiting to be followed. I also know we are on the right path. I am amazed at how confident I am. How truly trusting I am in this process and in us being able to make it a painless and fun time for all of us.

Unschooling isn't just about our kids. It's about us too. It's a lifestyle to be embraced and cherished. Peaceful Partnerships (a yahoo group moderated by two really cool couples) is a good example of how unschooling relates to us adults. I also noticed how the more I hear of the presentations at each conference, the more I hear the same thing - relax, trust, do what you are passionate about and your kids will thrive. As a benefit, you will also be relaxed, trusting and doing what you are passionate about - isn't that what we all really want?

So, for those I miss talking with - hugs go out to you. For those who we want to visit - we are mapping it out on a list and trying to figure out how to get to you! For our friends (Schuyler, David, kids Simon and Linnaea) in Britain, I dreamt about being on that boat with you!

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment